Thursday, February 22, 2007

Was today really necessary?


Today sucked. Really. Totally and completely. Started out innocent enough. Two kids home instead of at their dad's, but that is not really unusual. They often bail on being at dad's on a Wednesday. Conner, the loyal, went to dad's. Morgan, who was home, had a headache--stayed home from school. Spencer, who feigned being ill last night so as to come home with mom instead of staying at dad's was fine, and had to be taken to school.

I took Monkey Bread to my students and residents today, because it was the last day of the rotation for the students and they have been great. Besides, taking food to the residents is a kindness that I will hopefully always continue, as I remember how seldom anyone brought me food back then. (Try never--we did have one Social Worker on the oncology service that once brought us the best chocolate chip cookies--I still have her recipe and think of her every time I bake them--thanks again, Suzanne).
Of course, getting up and baking added an extra step in the morning, which already had the extra step of carpool line (which, did I already say, I was not supposed to be doing? Thursday morning is Dad's turn)

Anyway, I made rounds, had lunch, and came home to clean the garage. It was a beautiful, beautiful day--sunny and 78 degrees. Liv and Peep came by for a visit. So far, so good. Time for carpool line at the High School--because Morgan is home sick, I have to go and get Conner from school, and HS carpool line is as close to hell as you can get. No orderly progression of cars--it is like one of those crash derbies--every person there in a foul mood and really, really ready to leave. Most of the cars being driven by teens, who are more hormonal than 45 year old women who live in the hell of "perimenopause"--whatever that is.

So, I get there early, secure a safe parking spot, and wait. And wait. And wait, and wait, and wait....after 30 minutes I am about to panic. No Conner. I call Morgan and ask her to go run the other carpool line for Spencer, since I am clearly not going to make it, and to call friends and see where her brother is.

My phone rings. The ex. "Oh, Conner didn't feel like going to school today. He's here."

Believe me, there are no words. After reminding him that it would be really polite of him to let me know where my son is when he isn't in school I hung up on him. And when the fuckwad dumped my kid at the house an hour later I unloaded on the kid. Because fuckwad was too chicken to hang around for the tongue lashing he deserved.
So, Conner took it for him. Hate it, but I pay for a cell phone for that kid (all three kids) for a reason. Their dad won't let them call me when they are with him, and as we can see, old crazy isn't exactly great with communication, so the kids have cells. The main purpose of which is so that I can know where and how they are. Can you tell that I was/am irritated?

So, back to cleaning the garage. I cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned until my phone rang. "Are you OK?" My yoga class. The one I am supposed to be teaching. I forgot all about it. Fuck. They were very gracious, and "yogic" but I felt like crap. So, no yoga tonight.

I went to Burger King to get food for the kids. Got home and it was wrong. This is the third time in a row--yes, I should check it before I leave but I am always so trusting and hopeful....back to Burger King. Home again. New mop kit thing doesn't work. Back to store for another mop. Forget the clothes in the dryer, now all hopelessly wrinkled.

And did I mention one of my patients died?

I'm going to bed now. Tomorrow will be a better day.

9 comments:

M.E. said...

I love you

Anonymous said...

Is Jesus juice wine? Or something much stronger, the drinking of which results in moaning, "Oh, Jesus."

Definitely a crap day, Ellie. I hope you were able to relax, sleep well, and have a better day today.

What makes those chocolate chip cookies different, or better? Want to share the recipe? We probably won't end up at the same bake sale.

Having to be flexible with the kids' schedule would be very hard for me. My daughter usually goes to her Grandmother's on Wednesdays, and when that doesn't happen it really puts me in a funk.

Hang in there. I do envy the temperatures.

lu said...

Ugh, it's so hard to let go of bitterness, get focused ahead and be positive when we know that we will be forever dealing with our respective nar-ass-istic-clown-baby-daddies for eternity.

On the kindnesses--a secret admission--I love to drop little acts of kindness, I do it often, but it's rare that there is any return. Most of the time I don't care, or I think I don't, but then when the damn breaks that's always part of the debris floating around.

Your work has to be so taxing, and from what I read here you don't allow yourself to admit that often. It's a heavy load you carry, extraordinary really.

You are Wonder Woman, and you've earned the right to put on your cape, stomp your foot and demand some attention.

--I’m so envious of your friendships, that you have Peeps, and Liv, nearby who can stop by and bring you Jesus Juice. I want me some Peeps!!

ellie bee said...

m.e. I love you too.

liv, we have to have a weekend soon!

SB, Jesus juice is another blog altogether! the cc cookies were the wonderful recipe that has ground up oatmeal in them--I'm happy to share if you like--they are extraordinary, but what made them so wonderful is that they were so unexpected, and so kind.

and lu, you are so right. letting go of bitterness is the hardest thing of all. I keep looking up and thinking "oh fuck...its happened. I am alone." Irrational, but really, really scarey. And when I get scared I get bitter. My constant battle. And you are right again. I can't admit how brutal my work can be, because if I admitted it I probably couldn't take it anymore. And I have nothing else that I can do. So, for now I just do it and try to find the joy that is always there, hidden just under the surface. What I really hate about it (the job) is that I don't cry anymore. I just don't have it in me.

thank God for my blogging sisters!

DC said...

i just started reading this journal of my dear friend....and just want to send hugs....wish you drank - then I'd send wine!

Peach Pod said...

Lord, girl, I feel your pain. I just found out my own special ass-clown (I love that word, too, liv) has managed to screw with the first girls weekend I've had in 3 years. He was supposed to watch Monkey Boy through Monday and instead announced he's flying out on Sunday. So I get to drive from Boone, NC straight through. They both must die. Its as simple as that.

Baring their death, we'll just have to drink heavily. Works for me!

I'm thinking we'll have to plan a beach weekend for ya'll this summer. Baked items will be involved!

amusing said...

I'm four years out, y'all (like how when I'm here I get to pretend I still live in Charleston or Atlanta?)and I still get the bitter flashes. And I'm without the good girlfriends. Or the career -- though I've got to find the Job. Some job. And I love the kids, but if I'd known he'd be dating when I was a month pregnant with the first one, I'd never have had them. I'm not sure the bitterness ever goes away -- it's scar tissue that still hurts sometimes.

Cay-Cay said...

Sorry you had such a horrible day Ms. Elizabeth :( I feel bad now for coming over when you were in that kind of state...
But I still love you and I hope you know that! And even though some people might not...I appreciate everything you do for me as well as for your family..you're amazing

thailandchani said...

I'm exhausted, just reading this! :)


Peace,

~Chani