Sunday, February 25, 2007

Busy Weekend....but productive!

I started the weekend out on a very negative note--just exhausted, overwhelmed, and burned out. But, today I had a pivital moment in home ownership. I changed out a light switch.

My daughter's bathroom light has not worked in almost a year. I thought it needed lightbulbs, which my ex never would replace, but when I pressed my daughter (who had long ago given up on it) she told me that "it was broken--dad was supposed to fix it but he never did". Sure enough, I changed the bulbs and it still didn't work. Well, I decided that it either had to be the switch or the fixture, and since the fixture was newer (and a lot more work) I would try changing out the switch. I mean, how hard could it be? A trip to Walmart later I had my switch. And, yes, I changed that sucker out and only got shocked once (flipped the wrong breaker--oops!) When those lights came on I actually cried. It was really more than just a stupid switch; it was symbolic of so much in my life. I had what seemed to be an enormous, insurmountable problem (I have put this off for 2 months) and in 10 minutes I fixed it. Without help. Just dove in (did I mention I am terrified of electricity?) and did it. God, I felt like a million bucks.

Which inspired me to finish the tax mess on the living room table. And to take stock of all that I got done this week:

1. The house is painted.
2. The taxes are ready to go to the accountant--I am sure there is more to be done, but I've gotten a great start--the ex cleaned every scrap of paper out of this house when he left--no receipts for anything--so I just did it without that stuff. It is worth losing a few deductions not to have him in control of that aspect of my life anymore.
3. The garage has been cleaned of junk and now holds stuff ready to go to storage.
4. The utility room is cleaned out and rearranged and the new, improved litter box is in there instead of out in the hall.

All in all, not a bad week. This week the carpet cleaners are coming on Wednesday, and I plan to get a storage unit on Tuesday (I have to work in the office all day tomorrow--horrors!) I will call a home inspector tomorrow and get an appointment--boy, do I dread that! At this rate, I really will have this house ready to sell in a couple of weeks. Go Me!!!

Best of all, I had lots of wonderful comments and support on that wretched, horrible Thursday. Here's to a better week for us all!

9 comments:

Terri said...

Way to go! I can tell that getting that light switch changed was so much more than just achieving a necessary task. And in spite of how you said you began the weekend, it sounds like you moved mountains over the past week. (If you have any leftover energy, I could use some help here...)

Anonymous said...

Go You!!! The cleaning is an accomplishment by itself.

Anonymous said...

(I'm typing with my blinders on here. La la la, I can't hear you, set-aside tasks.)

How well you have described that feeling of accomplishment and the effect it has on other things. Thanks for the encouragement & here's some coming right back at you!

I bet you look hot in a tool belt.

thailandchani said...

That's pretty doggone brave to fix the light switch! Seriously, electricity is scary stuff! Congrads on it! I know a woman who is twice as good as any man at home repairs.

It does sound significant in more important ways though.. and I am glad you're beginning to come to into your own now, discovering that you're quite capable of many things.


Peace,

~Chani

LittlePea said...

Thanks for your blogvisit and comment. I'm glad you were able to fix the switch on your own!! My husband used to work out of town and be home only on the weekends so I had that feeling once. I bought a drill and fixed my own house-stuff withouth having to wait for him to come home! yay for you!

Imez said...

I've got an oven light that needs rewiring, if you've got a minute.

meno said...

Hi ellie,

We frequent many of the same blogs, so i thought i would come over and say hi. I like your blog and i'll be back.

Hi!

DC said...

there is nothing you can't do - oh spinner of yarn, quilter of quilts, maker of costumes and dresses and brownies and hairdos and whatever else needs making....of course you can fix lightswitches and door handles...you just never did......

amusing said...

ROCK ON!

Come drink wine while I change the washer in the downstairs sink (the off valve doesn't quite shut off, so it may be a bit wet...)