Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Driving Miss Daisy...

"if you trust your driver, it must be powerful..." Thank you lu for this one; it has haunted me all day. "if you trust your driver..." I have to confess, I hate to drive. Hate it, to the point that my close friends refer to me as "Miss Daisy" and chuckle at the thought of me being chaffeured around in my old age. Its part of my personality, I fear, this total readiness to relinquish control of the wheel and let someone else negotiate life for me.

Now, before liv blows a gasket, I do admit that I am a control freak about most things. I like sameness, and order, and things MY WAY...but as far as the big picture goes I prefer to settle in and knit while the miles roll by.

I remember in school feeling sorry for the kids who didn't know what they wanted to do--I knew that I wanted to be a doctor; therefore, a decade of decisions were made for me. Take these classes, make these grades, be in these clubs, go to this college, take these classes, make these grades...the path was clear, and although not necessarily easy it was a total "no-brainer".

In marriage (or should I say marriages?) I relied heavily on the husband du jour to make all the messy decisions: the budget, the taxes, the cars, the life insurance, the investments: all the grownup choices that weren't fun. I had lots of input on the fun stuff: the house, the kids, the food, the nanny--I played house like a pro--but the big stuff I pretty much deferred to the man of the house. After all, he was the designated driver. When he wasn't able to or proved himself incompetent to drive--the ride was over.

So now, I'm behind the wheel. And this car has some pretty precious cargo: the kids. Furthermore, I have to teach them to drive as well (and just ask M.E. how much fun I am in that role!) I'm faced with the realization that this is my journey, my life, and dammit, its time for me to drive! I'm realizing just how much of my life I wasted trusting someone else to be the driver and sitting by and knitting, while those miles and years rolled by.It is time for me to learn to trust myself to be the driver. I am not exactly sure where I am heading, but it will be a better and healthier place, and I look pretty damn good behind the wheel in my Fendi's.

7 comments:

Liv said...

not exactly sure what i might have blown a gasket about...but keep on rockin' your shades.

ellie bee said...

just that you know what a total control freak I am about most things!

Peach Pod said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I checked out your profile and wow, you life is so close to mine! I live in the South (Coastal South to be more exact), I'm 43, going through a divorce after 22 years and have one wonderful kid who is my world. Thanks for sharing your world. I find it to be a wonderful support.

Anonymous said...

I imagine that people with high stress/profile careers might feel justified handing off some of the mundane decisions to someone else. I would accept that as one of the privileges of having to work so hard. As a woman in such a position, you've also had to contend with the traditional gender roles.

I predict you will really enjoy being the driver.

amusing said...

I came to the realization that Mr. X was not going to do what I perceived as the traditional "dad" thing and teach the boys to ride a bike -- so I took off the training wheels and chased them down the sidewalks... I'm realizing it with playing catch and much of the rest of it as well.....

lu said...

I'm learning to love the driver's seat--Of course I'm practicing defensive driving--it's becoming second nature. Oh, and how about reading maps--working on that one too- I'm ready to go places out of my zip code.

I'm such a dork with the metaphor.

EHT said...

Thanks for dropping by Georgia On My Mind. I'm going to add you to the blogroll in the next couple of days.