Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Visiting this post

I was reminded of:

Why I don't shop at target...




It started innocently enough. Kids, shopping for their mom at Target 2 years ago. My daughter and older son waiting by the door with friends. My youngest checking out with his dad. He sees his siblings and breaks free--runs up to them and announces, in his loudest, most excited voice: "I got mom the greatest gift EVER!"

Everyone within range stops and turns, expectant, enjoying for just a brief moment remembering what it was like to buy someone a gift and to feel so great about it.

"What did you get her, Spence?" my daughter asked.

"A VIBRATOR!!!!"

The entire store stopped in its tracks. Snickering. My older kids looked horrified. One of their friends asked," Dude, what about your dad?"

Spencer looked scathingly at him. "Its for the car. For driving to work."

Needless to say, everyone in Target (which was about half our town) laughed their way home that night.

He got me one of those lovely heated seat massagers, which I do love.

My daughter called me from Target to tell me about it. "Mom, I don't want to spoil your Christmas surprise or anything, but..don't be late for work."

7 comments:

Peach Pod said...

OMG, I so LOL! I think I've hurt myself!!! My all time most embarrassing moment in a store was when Monkey Boy was 4. His circumcision wasn't done totally correct and he had to have some 'repair work' done. For the next 2 weeks after that if he met anyone we knew, he would try to show them his new and improved penis. He whipped that puppy out in Walmart. Joy!

ellie bee said...

My children have embarassed me in so many ways....I'll have to share the cigarette encounter some day....

Peach Pod said...

I am curious about the law in Alabama, though. What's the point? Will they be banning KY Jelly, certain condoms and sexy panties? I don't get the issue.

Cay-Cay said...

Hahahaha Got to love Spence!
Well I'm so glad that you're going to make something for the Bake Sale...we really need all the support we can get...I feel like I'm trying to pull this choir by myself to raise money and its super hard! Haha But yeah I'll see you tomorrow :)
Love you!

Liv said...

Oh, I so enjoy this story. I enjoy hearing it, and I enjoy retelling it! My little Memsa is indeed a gem!

lu said...

That is classic! Ha! The Perfect story!

keri said...

Nary a soul can best the inadvertent(?) bathroom humor of m'Connor and m'Spence. Need I remind you that "It's what we live for?"

Thrilled that you're writing. And so vibrantly. Hot damn. Can't wait to read your next post. Love, love, love.