Monday, July 09, 2007




Have you seen this? (The new and improved "Seven Wonders of the World")
In case you missed it, since the originals were for the most part "no longer available" there was a contest to choose new ones. These are the winners. Quite frankly, I don't get it. Yeah, the Christ the Redeemer statue is cool. But how did it beat out Easter Island? The Pyramids of Giza? The Acropolis? Stonehenge? And how did the Statue of Liberty even get in there? I love the Statue, don't get me wrong, but is simply is not in the league with a pyramid.

Many folks are saying it was a huge popularity contest, with countries pressing their citizens to vote so that they would get a bigger piece of the tourism pie. Probably so. But hey, what do you expect? I guess being a "wonder" these days is kind of like being a "hero"--lots of votes, little substenence.

Seems to me there should have been some sort of international committee with no vested interest in the results--God only knows how it would be selected (What about those Nobel prize people--maybe they could have helped). At least that way the results would have had some meaning other than being the "Seven Places Most Likely to have been voted on by someone with a computer somewhere". I mean, it's like American Idol, only worse.

What do you think? Did you vote? Did your favorite win? Do you even care?

7 comments:

Liv said...

Hey. I think you're a wonder. Will you believe me if we keep the votes down and my alleged authority up? Believe. For I have said it!

thailandchani said...

I didn't vote, one way or the other. Ultimately, it seems everything comes down to marketing.. so I just define my own "wonders of the world".

1) The single mother who gets through every day, being there no matter what, to do what needs to be done for the children,

2) The little boy who adopts a stray dog and learns the meaning of loyalty,

3) The author who sits down at the computer and creates 200 or 300 pages of a book that will inspire and teach us something, or perhaps even just entertain us...

4) People like Liv who teach people an exercise and a way of life that will sustain them, providing a foundation for living,

5) A homeless guy who manages somehow to get through one more day with dignity,

6) The professor who researches and digs and digs until there is a cure found for something that takes away life,

7) Doctors who devote their lives to ending suffering.

Those are only seven wonders of the world.

:)


Peace,

~chani

Peach Pod said...

Chani is so cool!

I agree with you on this stuff, Ellie Bee. It's stupid. The Statue of Liberty, not a wonder. The voting just showed that Americans have excellent Internet access and too much free time.

Andrea Frazer said...

I would have only cared if I could vote for a RV sized statue of a coffee cup with free Yuban for life.

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

You reminded me that I am going to hell for not being Catholic.

ellie bee said...

liv-I believe!

chani-as always, you are the best. And you are so right--the everyday wonders are the best.

peaches-they are now voting on the 7 "natural" wonders of the world. I can hardly wait

mama p--make mine a latte, please

reggie-so good of you to visit! liv is the resident catholic, so I guess i'll be burning with you...

meno said...

I am unable to care less what popularity contest a statue wins. Chani totally rocked with her answers. Other than the sippy cup, i have nothing to add.