Friday, July 20, 2007

Be nice to me--I gave blood today.....



A week or so ago, I was really moved by this blog, in which Em was upset because she wasn't able to donate blood. I was so impressed. You see, at 46, I have never given blood. I hope that makes me an oddity. Anyway, the idea of this child crying because she couldn't donate absolutely shamed me to death--so I decided to give blood.



It isn't that I haven't thought about it--I have considered it a lot. My dad was a Red Cross Wonderboy, until he had heart surgery in 1977...after all his transfusions, and with the medications he was on he never was eligible again. Unfortunately, those same lifesaving transfusions ultimately killed him, as he contracted hepatitis C (unknown at the time) and subsequently got hepatocellular carcinoma. But, that is another blog altogether.



My public reasons for not donating were plentiful: for years I was underweight, then anemic, then I had travelled in Africa (got me off the hook for a long time), then in the years of pregnancy and postpartum, then anemic again, then underweight again--always a good excuse to my ultimate relief, and none of them exactly truthful.



The truth? I didn't want my blood being wasted on some scum that I felt didn't deserve it. Yes, you read that right. I did not want my blood supporting some alcholic with cirrhosis, some drunk who had just plowed his car into a family, some gang member shot up in a fight--I didn't want my blood "wasted" on someone I thought wasn't worthy.



I was on the marrow donor list-have been for years. I thought that saving someone with cancer was OK, but I just couldn't bring myself to support a life I didn't approve of. I guess I just saw too many gallons of blood poured into people who were like those mentioned above and it just infuriated me. The waste of their life was their business--but wasting my blood was mine.



Still, I was touched by the selflessness of Em, and her desire to give to a complete stranger. And I sat down and really thought about my stance--which I confess had not crossed my mind in at least 10 years. And I realized that I go out of my way to give freely and without strings in every aspect of my life. I tell my children over and over (until they are sick of it I know) that a gift is given with NO STRINGS--what the recipient does with it is their business. Otherwise, it is not a gift. So what did that say about my lack of generosity with my own lifeblood? I am a very healthy woman--blessed with healthy children. Who am I not to share that gift with anyone else that needs it?



So, I gave blood today. I didn't look when they stuck the big grownup needle in my arm (remember, I am used to tiny needles in tiny people!) It actually didn't hurt a bit. I was so stoked at how easy it was! I plan to become a regular. Hopefully my little pint will go a long way towards helping someone somewhere who needs it. And for once, I really don't even care who.

7 comments:

Crazed Nitwit said...

I began donating blood on campus this year. The last time I tried my hematocrit was 36. Fine for my doc but not good enough for blood donation. I was sad.

Good for you. You never know how much good you are doing!

Vickie said...

I would love to donate blood but I have been told I can not donate blood or be an organ donor because of having Multiple Sclerosis.

Being a RN, I know just how important blood is and I freely donated until I was diagnosed in 1989.

Since that time I have to look for other ways I can donate to make life batter for others.

Bless you for changing your thoughts on donating blood.

Hope you have a great weekend.

DC said...

good for you...I haven't in the past 3 years....and I miss it - I always pretend that my blood goes to the people who really need it anyway...and the ones that I want to have it...Yay you.

meno said...

Awww, aren't you sweet? Good for you. It's always good to rethink your stance on an issue and make a change. I'll tell Em, she'll be proud of you. I'm proud of you too.

thailandchani said...

Wow.. that is a great realization! I'm so glad you made that choice.


Peace,

~Chnai

M.E. said...

Good Job Mom!!

I still can't quite get over my fear of needles to donate blood yet, but maybe I will try this year.

I'm very proud of you!!

Susanne said...

Great that you took the step. I haven't. And one reason is that I'm always working when I could donate. Maybe that's only an excuse. Meno's post got me thinking too.