Saturday, July 21, 2007



For those of you who don't know, this is a John Deere L130--also known as one big ass lawn mower. It is huge--much bigger than I need for my yard. It was fine for my previous 3 acre spread, but here it is a bit much. Still, it is the mower I have. My neighbors have all commented on the huge mower--especially since it wouldn't fit into the garage for several weeks and sat out in the driveway. One of them finally told me that the neighbors were taking bets on how long it would be before it was stolen, as such nice lawn equipment really shouldn't be left out for every one to see...I moved it into the garage after that, as I really knew that he meant that in this neighborhood, we don't leave yard stuff out in the driveway.

I think it really is more likely that they are all jealous and waiting to see it in action--my yard hasn't been mowed in weeks. Not a problem with the drought we had earlier, but in the past 2 weeks we have had rain. Lots of rain, and the grass is literally knee high. Unfortunately, the "deere" doesn't run. I changed the oil in it before we moved (yes, I changed the oil. Got out the book, read the directions and taught my boys how to change the oil and filter). The boys used it one last time at the old house, and it ran out of gas. The little one put the gas in it that we use for the weed whacker (the kind with oil mixed in) and put it in the garage. It hasn't run since. Bummer.

Today, with my grass blowing gently in the wind, I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands. I had consulted with my Deb's husband, Bill, and he had give me the low down on bad gas, fouled spark plugs, dirty carburetors, etc. I dutifully went and bought stuff and came home--then couldn't find the damn spark plug! Bill came over and gave me a quick tutorial--showed me where the parts all were, and I was off again to buy the right size spark plugs, and a new air filter and battery for good measure. I got home and --here is the cool part--changed the spark plugs (yes, they were fouled, air filter (filthy), and battery (which since the headlights didn't work, I figured was totally dead), and cleaned the carburetor! The damn thing still wouldn't crank--but it did have headlights again, so I knew it had power. Bill came back, and still, no luck. So, I woke up my very jet lagged son, who showed us which switches and levers had to be where, and you guessed it--it cranked right up and "ran like a deer".

I am beside myself! It was better than running a code--at least when I got my lawn mower back I knew what I was getting. Codes don't always go so well. Maybe I need to change professions. From what I hear, mechanics make better money than I do...and I now own my very own spark plug wrench! Hey, its a possibility!

I think one of the very best things about being divorced is finding out what I am capable of. My "motto" for a while has been "if not me--who? if not now--when?" It gets me up and going when I feel overwhelmed with dealing with something I never thought I would have to deal with. But, invariably, once I have done it, I feel totally awesome. Not that I really want to spend my life working on lawn mowers, but it is nice to know that I can do what I have to do. And it is good for the kids to see it, too. Never too late to be a good example, I guess. Now, I think I may actully cut the grass--naaaah, the boys can continue that little chore for a few more years!

11 comments:

Crazed Nitwit said...

HOORAY for Ellie Bee!!! That's so awesome! I know I could do these things if I had to but dh being a bozo lately I think he should do all the rotten chores. I might be a little biased....

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I hate mowing, I've done it since I was 12. I have 8 acres with three yards and a pasture. This year I hired a guy to cut the formal areas. Money well spent.

Anonymous said...

Nice going woman. It does feel good to do it yourself and I am in awe, spark plugs no less.

Vickie said...

Hip Hip Hooray---it is a great feeling when we do things that others have always done for us and especially if others might think we will not be able to do them.

Now about mowing--I still like to pass that one on to someone else.

Sharon said...

Way to go, my intrepid friend! How I celebrate your independent spirit. I wouldn't know a spark plug if it bit me on the fannie.

Just a random thought: why do they make lawn mowers one can ride on, but not vacuum cleaners? Hmmmm....

LittlePea said...

Yay! That's an awesome feeling. My sister just got divorced and has had similar experiences learning how to do new things. I once bought a drill-my husband is the type to just hire someone to do all the fixing-I went all over the house with that drill repairing/installing everything like a crazy person laughing at all the money I was saving. It was wonderful!

ellie bee said...

janicenw--I think rotton chores should definitely be reserved for the bozo's in the house!

reg--I have never mowed, but the consensis is that most folks agree with you. Fortunately, my boys love riding on that big old tractor thing!

deb--I never knew there were so many different types of spark plugs! and their own special little wrench! I saved the package so I never have to figure out which one to buy again!

vickie--it is very empowering--and I just keep finding little things that thrill me!

sharon--have you seen those roomba things? I think they would give my pets heart attacks, but some folks swear by them!

miss pea--OMG--I LOVE my drill! for Christmas I am going to get myself a cordless one--I can't wait!

Jen C said...

Congrats!!!! Spark plugs, air filters batteries, oh my. and kudo's to the sons and friends that helped you through it. And yes a code is easier to run than fix the world mechnanical....

Susanne said...

Good for you. I love the feeling of being capable too. Being able to take something apart and make it work again. Great. (And of course I do have my own drill. And it is bigger than my husband's.)

Cay-Cay said...

Haha congrats on the nice mower! I only saw that thing like twice, and both times it was never in action! Lol Hope you're doing good!
Love <3

Andrea Frazer said...

Have you heard that Kenny Chesney song "She thinks my tractor's sexy?" It cracks me up and you immediately will come to mind now when I hear it.