Friday, April 20, 2007

House update.

Today was D-day--decision day--for the "house of my dreams". The current owners decided that despite the fact that an inspection showed that their house was in sad disrepair, and I had offered them top dollar for their house, they were not willing to negotiate or repair the problems. So, I sent a contractor to give me his opinion.

"Did you see the movie The Money Pit? Welllll, mammmm, that's what kept a-playing in my head the whole time I was looking at that house. I think its like a big ball of string, and once you get a hold of the end, its all gonna unwind."

Bottom line? 30 k to bring it up to normal repair and to code FOR THE TIME IT WAS BUILT. Yes, it was not even up to the building code for the year it was built.

My realtor said: "I cannot in good conscious recommend that you buy this house."

Can you say walk away?

Thank God for inspections.

So, the kids and I looked at more houses. And returned to one we had looked at earlier that I had liked, but they nixed because the master suite was "not good enough" for their mom (did I mention that I love those kids?)

And I think it will be fine. Just right, actually. About the same size as the "scream house", with a great finished basement for the kids playroom and a lovely yard. It even has a screened porch. It will need updating, but it is substantially cheaper than the other, and already has a new roof, and relatively new heating and air. And, its in a great neighborhood, where the kids have friends.

All in all, not a bad thing. We will go back tomorrow and look one more time, take pictures, and write up the contract. I feel better about this one already--in a way it already feels like "home", so I think we may have finally found our new nest. Again, wish us luck. And thanks for all the good thoughts and concerns about the last one! It really helped!

6 comments:

meno said...

Well, you escaped from that mess. And i do sincerely wish you good luck on this next one, that already feels like home.

Susanne said...

Good luck for the new one from me too. Thank God you didn't buy the "money pit". Wishing you well...

Liv said...

I am so glad you have not ended up in something that would swallow you whole. I think we both need places that will be manageable and easy to live in!

thailandchani said...

I'll be glad to see pictures of the new house. They both sound very nice.. but who needs one that will require the price of a condo to fix it up? :)


Peace,


~Chani

Peach Pod said...

I know it is going to work out great for you! Can't wait to hear more.

LittlePea said...

That's all so exciting! I can't wait to hear about it all and I hope you share pictures.

I'm pretty sure I know what college you're talking about in your post down there....it's a shame isn't it?