Thursday, April 12, 2007

Dream house update....

The "house of my dreams" is turning into the "house of my screams"...not really, just very frustrating right now. It is lovely,and absolutely perfect for our needs. The kids are so very excited--picking paint colors and rearranging their rooms on paper.

The problem? I, of course, had it inspected. And it has a lot of problems that the current owners will have to fix. Not just for me, structural stuff that has to be fixed whether I buy it or not. Sagging floor joists, a cracked rafter, rotten window sills with subsequent water damage--you get the drift. It also needs a new roof in about a year, and has polybutylene pipes, which I have unfortunately learned a great deal about in a short time--in essence, the whole house has to be replumbed.

So why am I still involved? Did I mention that we love it? All of the above will have to be fixed--its not like the owners can sell it to someone else and not disclose any of this new information, and no one will buy it until the problems are addressed. Nor can they just ignore the problems--they have to be addressed if the house is going to be lived in. My fear is that they will decide not to sell at all. Or, they can take it off the market, fix it and put it back on the market later hoping to get a better price--which doesn't work for me either. They have until next Friday to decide what they are willing to do. Hopefully, we will have an agreement we can all live with. Otherwise, it's back to house hunting--under a very tight time constraint. My house is set to close on May 30.

I remain in a perpetual state of nausea.

4 comments:

meno said...

Thank god you had it inspected. But what a drag. :( I hate the waiting most of all.

thailandchani said...

Yes, it is unfortunate that these things have come along to slow the process ~ but if you hadn't had it inspected, it has the potential of being far worse! :)


Peace,

~Ch

lu said...

This has to be frustrating. Like Meno said, thank god you had it inspected. The worst case senerio would be to move in and have it turn into the money pit.

Liv said...

"I just know it's all going to work out." she said as she continued to write her own gut-wrenchingly depressed posts on her own blog. Wisdom? You know better than to run it by me. At best I'm like your juvenile delinquent little sister.