Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

It's finally done; 2006 is history. The 2000's have been a trying decade so far, and I am convinced that this year is the turning point. I am grateful to have made it this far as intact as I am, and with as much as I have and pray that this time next year I will be celebrating another year of growth and good health, and happy, wonderful family.
I think an important part of 2007 is going to be redefining family, a trend started in 2006, but finally becoming comfortable. Bach said " The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof." Knowing that, I am blessed and content with the love of the family that I have found. Not that my "blood family" isn't important, or good enough; but they are distant in all conceivable ways and rather than fight it, as I have for 45 or so odd years, I have come to accept it--embrace it, even. It's OK if I don't want to go home for extended visits: they don't want me to either! Instead I'd rather enjoy my time with family I have come to know and love in more recent times.
I was blessed to be visited today by my nieces, nephew, and ex-brother-in-law. One of the difficult things about divorce is the loss of the extended family--the in-laws--if you were lucky enough to have good ones. My in-laws were dysfunctional as hell, but infinitely more functional than my own family, and for the past 20 years have been my family. Unfortunately, with divorce, that is gone. But sweet Darren, my favorite Brother-in-law, brought his kids by to visit. He will never know what that simple gesture meant to me. I was even surprised by the depth that it touched me. So, for those of you who are in the midst of the "family divorce" if you can take a moment to show kindness towards the ex---do.
My focus for this year is going to be love. Just trying to remember to do all things with love, feel all things with love, hear all things with love....to remember that we are, in essence, love and are supposed to live our lives as such. I have known and practiced this in my life for years, but somehow got derailed in the 2000's....am looking forward to returning back to what I know is true. Hopefully, as I remember who I am, I will become who I am capable of being. I wish to all of you love, and more love, in every aspect of your being.

1 comment:

Liv said...

I'm tired and behind, but I just want to tell you that I love you and I hope your New Year is filled with blessings that surprise, enrich, and enlighten you!