Sunday, June 24, 2007

I know that I sound like an unsympathetic witch..but sometimes I just don't feel the angst. I mean, I am sorry--unbelievably sorry--that some husbands are total jerks who lie, cheat, and abuse their wives. What I don't exactly get is why their ex-wives are not delighted to be done with the sorry bastards.

Maybe it's because I look at it from the other side of the fence. I was the bad guy: I divorced my husband. He did not want a divorce. For years I prayed that he would find a girlfriend, or even hit me--anything obvious that would give me an "honorable out". No such luck. His sin was to be "sick"--and to use that "illness" to control every aspect of our lives. He was also a pathological liar--to the point that as he said "I can't even remember what the truth is anymore." Don't get me wrong--I loved my husband. Loved the man that he was, and the man he was capable of being. I just didn't know, and couldn't stay with the man he became. I stayed with him after his mental break for almost 8 years, hiding the true hell we lived in from everyone, including family and friends. Fortunately for me, the veneer got too thin the last 5 years or so, so my closest friends got a glimpse into my world. They were delighted for me when I finally got the courage to file for divorce. My kids were relieved as well--they were tired of the emotional abuse they took when he stopped being able to control me and turned on them instead.

To the rest of the world, however, I am a heartless bitch who divorced her poor(never mind that he makes more in disability than I make working my ass off as a physician), sick (let's not discuss how much of this is real or imagined), disabled husband in his time of need, breaking his heart and turning his children against him. Fortunately for him he "found Jesus" so he can devote hours each week with his THREE Bible study groups praying for my wayward soul, as well as that of his "sinful children". And he can continue spreading the lies about how mistreated and abused he has been.

So, to those of you who were married to lying, cheating bastards: count your blessings that they have moved on to torture someone else. To those of you living with a mentally ill spouse: I feel your pain, and I pray for you all every day. I am eternally grateful that I was able to finally break free of my guilt and leave. And everyone, please say a prayer that my ex will find a girlfriend real soon...it would sure take the heat off of me!

9 comments:

Susanne said...

Well, maybe he finds somebody in one of his bible-groups...

I don't really get it that there must always be a bad and a good guy when people divorce. People like it that way because they feel threatened when marriages break apart. They fear for themselves.

But then I have never witnessed the lying or abuse...

EHT said...

I agree with Susanne....you know what they say...church is a great place to find someone.:)

Seriously, I didn't realize you had been all through that. I'm so sorry.

lu said...

I wish I could answer that question. It has much to do with the ability to believe in one's self. If only that quality grew on trees...

ellie bee said...

susanne--I don't get it either. and frankly, I was shocked at the people who needed to "take sides"--to the point of not even allowing their children to associate with my kids unless they were at "dad's" fine christian home. Of course, as time has passed there are many people who are beginning to get a feel for what he is really like without me to glaze over things...

elementary--so glad you stopped in. Sorry about the pity party--I actually have a great life now and am grateful for every moment--past and present. And although their family life was not exactly stellar, my kids are amazingly resilliant, and the joy of my life--so some good came of it all!

lu--I wish i knew the answer too. probably the same reason i couldn't leave all those years...hope maybe? feelings of failure? i just wish we could all figure it out and get on with our lives! I do know this---IT GETS BETTER...once you realize that you are OK, perfectly fine in fact, life gets a whole lot better...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you made the right decision.

Peach Pod said...

I've honored you with an award. Check it out: http://peachesandpurls.blogspot.com/2007/06/ive-been-doubled-tagged.html

thailandchani said...

Well, I hope he finds someone, too. I've never understood the mentality of those who believe they can cling or hang on to someone who doesn't want to be clung to... or hung on to....

Human relationships often baffle me.

That's why I like my dog. :)


Peace,

~Chani

Chai said...

I just found this blog, and My mouth dropped as you described your divorce situation...My ex has done the same thing as far as "finding god" and getting into 3 prayer groups to pray for me....I am so sorry youhave to deal with the crap and your kids did/do too...i am right there iwth ya sista!

QT said...

Thanks for your comments over my way - i really appreciate them. My ex had a debilitating back injury during the last 9 months of our marriage. I supported him, and it was very difficult for me to leave him - I had a ton of guilt. He did the same things you describe, turned the tables on me and said I left because he no longer made any money, etc.

Ugh - don't worry, I am SO glad to have moved on!!!